Sunday, June 20, 2010

One Fabulous Day!

I have just had the best day!!! It started off as a normal Saturday .. you know ... yelling at Lachie because once again he was late for tennis! It's not like they change the time each week, but we finally got there which was more luck than anything. The turn into the tennis courts is off a very busy road and it is a sharp turn so you need to slow down quite a bit. I always put my blinker on well in advance and tip my brakes if people still don't get it (advice from my son btw and it works). Today there was nothing behind me for a while which was good - except there was a mother with a stroller and a young child crossing at the entrance to the courts. Now to me it would seem logical to hurry a little if there was a car coming towards them but she, in her wisdom let the toddlers hand go and kept walking so the kid stopped right in the middle of the road leaving me stuck not able to turn in and a huge truck coming up rapidly! I could hear the truck's brakes and was beginning to get just a little worried when the kid finally decided to move and I turned in - probably with a split second to spare!  Phew!!


So after collecting Lachie and doing a little shopping and getting sushi for lunch (yum! there is a new sushi place near us and it is delicious - despite Lachie's gagging noises and 'oooh yuk seaweed!' comments) - it was time to go home.


I had a couple of articles ... okay 7 ... due by the end of next week ... at Suite 101 and I decided today would be a good day to get some done. Lachie was off with a friend, Brendan was at work and Ian was watching football so I went upstairs, opened a word doc and put on some music! It was lovely - Bryan Adams - what a voice!! Later I moved on to Rod Stewart and many others but kept coming back to Adams. Before I knew it, it was dark, Brendan was home and Ian was organising dinner. Five hours had passed and I had absolutely loved it and although it's usually the mother telling the kids to turn the music down, today it was the other way around! I even got dinner delivered to me because apparently I didn't hear them calling to tell me it was ready *angelic smile* - life doesn't get much better than that!


I had been talking to a friend on  messenger - she had left to do something -and I didn't realise that Lachie has opened my laptop and therefore signed me out, so when she came back he talked to her for about 20 minutes before bothering to let me know. Just as well she is tolerant lol and that I know as I only talk to two people on messenger he was okay.


Which brings me to what I had planned to talk about today - unusually I managed to get sidetracked and no smart comments are needed here! :P


Last night I was also talking on messenger to another friend and unbeknown to me the other person's connection dropped out. I have to admit I was a little miffed that there was no good-bye but I forgave that once I knew why lol.


Anyway... while I was lying in bed later that night I started thinking about it and how fragile some connections are. When my friend Gill and I are talking on messenger and one of us loses the internet, we text each other and swear lol but as this can't happen here it made me think. I consider him a special friend and what if something happened and I never knew ... imagine sitting waiting and never knowing for sure! In this case I am sure I would find out through other friends but there would still be that period of not knowing.  Taking it a step further, there are other friends on FB that I would be really sad to lose touch with, several of whom have no connection with any of my other my friends. It made me realise just how fragile some of these relationships really are. Does this make them any less important? Of course not ... most of these people I will never meet, but in some way they have affected my life, some more than others. I have got to know a little about them and they about me and like everything in life it colours the person we become. Which of course leads to the question, would I like to meet them all? Honestly .. probably not, but many of them I would and one day I hope I will.


But it is not only those long distance friendships that can be fragile, even those close physically need nurturing and sometimes circumstances make this difficult or even impossible and sadly it is time to move forward. The question then is, if almost all of your friends are now more acquaintances than friends, what do you do? Where do you go next? Good question ...when I find the answer I will let you know!


Having said that, there are those wonderful friends that time and distance make no difference to. I am fortunate to have a friend like that. We have probably seen each other 10 or 11 times in the last 22 years but when she called the other day for my birthday it was, as usual, as if we had talked only a couple of days before. Now that is very special and doesn't happen often. How lucky am I then to have 2 girl friends like that, sadly neither of whom live in the same country let alone close.


So I guess the moral of this story is to nurture those friendships, both near and far, accept that sometimes we move on and friendships change, be open to new friendships that are not necessarily what you would expect ... and get that mobile phone number - just in case ;)




Feeling of the Day: Relaxed! (and loving it)


Song of the Day: So many to chose from today that I love but it has to be Bryan Adams so ... Everything I do - I do it for you - Bryan Adams




  

No comments: